To better prepare car owners for the rigorous winter driving months, here’s LoJack’s best tips to protect vehicles and assets this season. Car thieves have been known to target the winter months, notably because owners often start their vehicles on cold mornings and leave holiday gifts in plain sight — making their vehicles easy targets for theft.
In order to remain safe and not become a victim of vehicle theft this winter, protect your vehicle by adhering to LoJack’s safety tips:
- Beware of “puffers”: A puffer refers to a car that has been left running in the cold weather as indicated by the visible vapors coming out of its tailpipe. While it’s tempting to start your car, turn on the heat and head back inside, drivers need to understand that this seemingly harmless act is ideal for an opportunistic car thief.
- Find busy sidewalks: Park in well-lit, high traffic areas to make it difficult for thieves to break into your car.
- Wrap your gifts in security: Remember to lock your car doors, especially if you are dropping off shopping bags between stores and always roll-up car windows after collecting your parking garage ticket at shopping centers.
- Play Secret Santa: Conceal any holiday shopping gifts to avoid tempting thieves. If you must go into your trunk to store gifts, be sure to take your keys to avoid a thief entering the car while you fill the trunk. You should also consider stopping at a location (e.g. gas station, coffee shop, etc.) between shopping areas if you need to transfer gifts to the trunk.
- Invest in sleigh bells: Activate your alarm system or other security features on your vehicle. If ever you do fall victim to a vehicle theft, an installed LoJack® Stolen Vehicle Recovery System can help the police track stolen vehicles.
“The winter months, and specifically the holiday season, can be a vulnerable time if you are a vehicle owner,” said Patrick Clancy, Vice President of LoJack Law Enforcement. “Everyone is rushing around, running errands and purchasing gifts and often forget about the basics when it comes to protecting their assets. Thieves look for this and will take advantage of individuals who have not taken the precautionary steps to protect their vehicles during the winter months. ”
The LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System offers the technology and recovery process that make it an effective system for recovering stolen vehicles. Based on Radio Frequency technology, the system delivers strong signals that do not require line of sight with satellites or cell towers and can therefore track vehicles where other devices can’t, such as in a steel container on a ship, in a parking garage or in dense foliage. The LoJack® System is also directly integrated with law enforcement agencies around the country, which use LoJack Police Tracking Computers to find and recover stolen vehicles installed with a LoJack System. Lastly, the system utilizes a small wireless Radio Frequency transceiver that is highly covert, making it very difficult for thieves to find and disengage the system.
To purchase a LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System visit our online store at https://www.lojack.com/Products/Stolen-Vehicle-Recovery-System.
Get our best recovery stories delivered fresh weekly. Click here to subscribe to this blog.